Our work as educators depends on many things: adequate funding, supportive administrators, parents, elected officials, and communities, safe, modern school facilities, and so much more. But encouraging literacy and kids who are strong, passionate readers is also critical to the success of our students and schools. That’s why MSEA and many local associations are such strong supporters of Read Across America and Read Across Maryland month every March. MSEA has participated in NEA’s Read Across America program since it began in 1997. Many years, MSEA visits the State House and receives special book donations from members of the Maryland General Assembly to a school of their choice.
Visit NEA's Read Across America page for tools and resources, tips, and ideas for planning a Read Across America event.
Check out these additional reading resources:
- By The Dawn’s Early Light by Steven Kroll
- Count Me In by Cal Ripken
- Chita’s Christmas Tree by Elizabeth Howard
- Aunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard
- The Fox Hunt Mystery: Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene
Online Reading Communities and Literacy and Dyslexia Resources: